It was Diwali a festival of lights, gifts, and especially tasty yummy food. Besan ladoo, Pohe Chivda, Karanjee generally made. This time I was willing to prepare for my kids something chatpatta, spicy and healthy. Remising the memories of my child hood were my Grand ma prepared her spicy Besan Patties – Masavadi was just so delicious. Maa hungry serve something fast- A loud voice of my son, I quickly come back to reality and head towards the kitchen gathering all the ingredients and starting the preparation
Essentials for the filling of the patties:
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Finely chopped onion – 1
- Finely chopped Garlic cloves – 5
- Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
- Dry coconut – ¼ cup
- Poppy seeds – 2 tsp
- Red chili – 1tsp
- Turmeric ¼ tsp
- Hing- 1/8 tsp
- Green chilies -2
For outer coating
- Besan Flour – 1 cup
- Oil 2tsp
- Garlic paste 2tsp
- Salt for taste
- Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
- Dry roast Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp, Dry coconut – ¼ cup, Poppy seeds – 2 tsp let them cool down and grind it into a fine powder.
- Take a pan; pour oil, turmeric, hing, onion and garlic cooking it until onion turns brown.
- Mix this with the powder and grind it once.
- Take a pan; add oil, turmeric ¼ tsp., Garlic paste 2tsp, cumin seeds. Pour 1-cup water as garlic is cooked.
- Let one boil come, then after a boil add 1-cup Besan flour and keep whisking firmly to avoid lumps.
- Turn gas flame to medium and cover the pan with lid allowing the batter to steam for 5-8 mins.
- Once dough is cooked, let it become warm and then start kneading until soft.
- Use an oil greased plastic sheet, spread the dough equally levelled over it and add the stuffing.
- Once stuffing added, start rolling – ensure it is enclosed from all sides.
Once roll was ready, had cut it into 1-inch piece and served with spicy gravy to my kids for lunch making their Diwali meal healthy and unique.