Sunday, a day to be relaxed and enjoy the sunny climate. But when you are a mother it’s not so easy to say good bye to all responsibilities and be carefree. My husband and kids had a demand of typical south Indian Sambar which they had recently tasted at my aunts place. This was a Sambar Avial packed with more of vegetables and spicy taste. Leaving my all tiredness away, I got out of bed headed to kitchen, called my aunt and started the breakfast preparation. The authentic south Indian texture and the happiness on my husband and kids face on tasting the dish made my day. Here, I am sharing with you all this tasty recipe. Hope you too spread smiles.
Ingredients for Avial Packed Sambar
½ cup – Yellow Lentils (Tur Dal), Red Lentils (Massor Dal).
1 – Big snake gourd, large onion, tomato, large potato, cucumber, medium size brinjal and drumstick.
6 – Lady finger and colocasia.
8- Cluster beans.
3- Dry red chillies and curry leaves.
3tsp. – Red chilli powder, oil and Sambar powder.
1tsp. – mustard seeds and dedicated coconut.
12 – Mini onions.
¼ cup tamarind juice.
Salt to taste.
Pinch of asafoetida.
Coriander for garnishing.
– Pressure cook all the vegetables and lentils for 10 mins.
– Take2 cups water, salt, turmeric, vegetables, dal into a cooker. Give one boil, then add the lid and cook on high flame until one whistle.
– After a whistle, immediately turn of the flame and let the cooker be untouched until the pressure settles.
– Once pressure settles, open the lid, add the Sambar powder, asafoetida, dedicated coconut and tamarind juice.
– Take a deep pan, add oil, heat it, then add mustard seeds, curry leaves, dry chillies cook for 2 mins and pour it into the Sambar.
– Give good boils for 5 mins then garnish it with coriander.
The aroma is soul soothing. It indicates your dish is cooked well and ready to eat.